Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Basic Judi Dench

I got my hair cut yesterday. This is an event that’s not usually worthy of a headline in anybody’s life, but I mention it because I’ve been dreading hair appointments lately. My regular stylist left recently leaving me and her other regular clientele to work through the salon’s squad of cadets fresh out of hair school in the hope of finding a reasonable replacement who excels at hair-cutting and has a talent for making small talk with middle aged women.

I’m actually pretty annoyed with my ex-stylist for answering the inner voice that told her she should pursue a new career as a credit card call center customer service rep. I don’t get how informing people that their accounts are in arrears could be fulfilling; although “arrears” is a funny word and I can see how that could make your day. At least she can work sitting down and her hands won’t be wet all the time.

But did she think about me!?! I have seen this woman every four weeks for three years and she cut my hair just the way I like it! Besides that, I thought we had a pretty good rapport going. I could count on an enjoyable salon visit every fourth Tuesday chatting away with her about things women of a certain age find interesting. Kids coming up in salons today just aren’t that interested in conversing about Weight Watchers, orthopedic flip-flops and colonoscopies. Besides, she understood me. She knew that I’d get a slipped disk if she didn’t put up the footrest on the shampoo sink chair before she tilted me back. Now I have to train a rookie.

The first was a vivacious young lady who asked me things like “Do you watch The Bachelorette?” She was sweet enough, but I could tell she thought I was her grandma’s age as she held my elbow to help me get out of the chair and talked loudly at me, “WE’RE GOING TO THE SINK NOW!” I brought my dog-eared photo of British actress, Judi Dench to show her: “This. I want this.” The Young Thing didn’t know who Judi Dench is but thought she could replicate the hair cut. She couldn’t. For the last four weeks I have looked like a Schnauzer that had been groomed with pinking shears.

Yesterday I gave a nice young man an opportunity to apprentice on my hair. The kid is maybe pushing 20 and quite tall, so he had to bump the chair up quite high in order to reach my head comfortably. Ka-chunk, ka-chunk, ka-chunk, ka-chunk. I bounced on each ka-chunk and started to laugh.

“Ha, ha,” I chortled, “This reminds me of being a kid, I’m up so high. Whee!” Awkward silence. After that I had nothing to lose so I thought I’d tell him my childhood hair cut story, which goes like this:

When I was a little kid, my mother got her hair set and permed every week by a hair dresser named Pauline to whom she’d gone for years. The salon was downtown on the second floor of an office building and was one of those places with hospital-green painted walls, stale-dated Look magazines and a hundred potted plants – mostly Mother-in-Law’s Tongue. The resident barber was named Mr. Billings. He cut my hair while mother was under the dryer. I hated him. He lifted me and plunked me on a booster seat and snapped his scissors in the air all around my head. Then Mr. B would cut my bangs straight across about a half inch from my hairline. He parted my hair in the middle and gave me bunchy curls at my ears that made me look like a miniature version of Bozo, the Clown. My mother thought I was adorable. “Oh, you look like a little pixie!” she said. Even at the age of 5, I can remember scowling in the mirror and thinking, “This isn’t glamorous! I don’t want to look like a pixie! I want to be glamorous! I want long hair!” I told Mr. Billings so. He snapped his scissors at my nose and shouted, “Well, you can’t!”  Sheesh. Talk about your sensitive artist type!

Many haircuts later, I can still see that kid, miserable in the mirror. I keep hoping for glamorous.

My rookie stylist didn’t know who Judi Dench is either. He didn’t get the hair exactly right, but he did o.k. and I think I’ll give him a second chance next month mostly just because he laughed politely at my story and didn’t hold my elbow when I got out of the chair.  


Dame Judi Dench

 Me with an almost Judi Dench hair cut

No comments:

Post a Comment