Saturday, June 1, 2013

Play Me a Love Song


Did you see the article published last week that claims women are attracted to men with guitars?

Well, DUH!!!!

Go ahead and Google this. Scientists in France determined that guys carrying guitars prompted 30% more positive responses from women than men carrying either nothing or sports equipment.

I could have told them that! After all, I have been married to a guitar player for 36 years (this week!) and I’m here to tell you that being serenaded on a date goes a long way toward bowling you over! The choice of song is important, of course. This was in the early 70s, an era when thousands of young men were inspired by the Beatles, the Stones, James Taylor and others. If, on the night in question, Ken had chosen, let’s say, “I Can’t Get No Satisfaction,” accompanied by grimacing and strutting with Keith Richardsesque-swagger, I might not have been quite as hopelessly enchanted. But, in his basement rec room after dinner the first time I was invited to meet his family, this romantic guy of mine sang and played Carole King’s tender ballad, “Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?” That was it. Scrape me off the floor with a putty knife and call me smitten! I was already in love with him. The song was sweet butter icing on our courtship cake.

Some women might challenge this assertion about guitars. I can see how someone might fall for a piano man, or a saxophonist, or a drummer, maybe. Didn’t Ringo have (almost) as many fans as John, Paul or George? I even know someone who loves an accordion man! But, ladies, let’s admit it! In the movies that played in our minds when we were young, wasn’t the handsome minstrel in the moonlight serenading you under your bedroom window always a guitar player?

All through our dating years, I accompanied Ken and his brother when they played coffee houses or folk festivals. I thought my movie dreams had come true. Ken still plays and sings almost daily. Sometimes a quiet evening at home will include a concert just for me. Reunions with his siblings, and now their kids, always include guitars and all the old songs – or at least as many as we remember the lyrics to. Listening always assures me that all my dreams really have come true.

Happy Anniversary, my sweet, romantic Guitar Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment