Friday, July 19, 2013

Two Sixty Year Olds on Vacation


There is a dimension of fun in life that young people just totally miss out on.

Take a conversation Ken and I had in the magnificent Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow, Scotland on our vacation last week.

We sauntered into a gallery where a small number of Rembrandt oil paintings hung on the wall. One somber canvas featured the splayed carcass of an ox about to be butchered. It was ghastly and beautiful all at the same time.

In a hushed, museum-toned voice, Ken leaned toward me and said, “Why do you suppose he painted an animal carcass?”

“Bacon,” I replied.

“Bacon? What do you mean, bacon? It’s a cow!”

“I know it’s a cow!”

“Then why did you say, ‘bacon’? You don’t get bacon from a cow.”

“Because that’s the guy!”

“What guy?”

“The guy that painted animal carcasses!!” (For heaven’s sake!)

“That’s Rembrandt!”

“I know THAT’S Rembrandt! I can read labels! The guy that painted animal carcasses was Bacon! Francis Bacon!”

“Why would you come up with that?”

“You asked me!” (You know the stage whisper that is actually quite loud? We were on the verge.)

“I didn’t!”

“Yes, you did. You asked me you who’s the guy that painted animal carcasses.”

“I asked you why Rembrandt painted animal carcasses!!”

“OOhh! That’s a different question.  I thought you asked me, ‘Who painted animal carcasses?’ I heard you say, ‘WHO was the guy that painted animal carcasses?’“

“No.”

“No. Guess not. Sorry. I don’t know. I really don’t know much about Rembrandt. Bacon was 20th century. I know more about modern art.”

“Yeah, great. Thanks.”

He was walking away into another gallery. He’d lost interest in Rembrandt.

I trailed behind him toward another section of the museum.

“O.K., Miss Modern Art Major, let’s go see the Salvador Dali,” he called back to me.

“Muhammad Ali? You’re kidding me, right? Ali paints? Wow! That’s something to see, alright.”

“Yes, dear.”

As I said, we seniors have way more fun than young people.  


 
Kelvingrove Museum in Glasgow
 
The Natural Science hall at Kelvingrove Museum
 

No comments:

Post a Comment