Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Empty Nest Syndrome


Kids! Mothers’ Day barely past and already they’ve flown the coop. After all my worrying. And fretting about them getting enough to eat. And doing my best to keep them safe from harm. And what do they do? Take off! Without a single thought! How can they do this to me?

What’s that? You’re asking, “What kids? You don’t have kids, Lesley!”

That’s true.

I’m talking about the Robin triplets. About a month ago their mom built a nest at the top of the ivy that climbs the wall near our front door next to the driveway. I’ve been stressed out ever since she moved in. First I fretted about disturbing her as we went in and out, back and forth. Then I worried about the nest. Was it in a good spot to prevent nasty intruders like Starlings or squirrels? Was it secure enough up there at the top of the vines? What if it toppled? What if the eggs fell out? What if the baby birds fell out –oh, my, that would be terrible! I lined a bushel basket with leaves and placed it under the nest to soften any potential tumbles. I watched every day to see if the orange vees of their beaks were stretching up to gobble worms that their mom brought home. I’d time my trips to the car so that I wouldn’t interrupt her delivery schedule. I had the wild bird rescue place on speed dial.

These sudden outbursts of maternal instinct always catch me by surprise. I spent my reproductive years undersupplied with the requisite nurturing drive, feeling rather ambivalent about motherhood, if not downright fearful. My biological clock didn’t strike the eleventh hour until I was closing in on 40, getting perilously close to peri-menopause. Suffice to say, it just never happened.

But spring has a curious way of awakening those motherly impulses. The “Aw, they’re so cute!” season of baby birds and bunnies turns me into an over-wrought, anxious, surrogate mom to our backyard creatures, great and small.

The Robin trio got bigger by the day. They began to flutter their wings and shove each other to get better access to the worm delivery. They started acting like teenagers demanding the car keys. Their chirps took on sullen tones.

On Sunday, I was about to step out onto the front steps to see if it was safe to run to my car. Before I opened the door, through the sidelight window, I spotted a baby Robin perched on the railing, kind of teetering there trying to find his balance, clinging by his toes. I called Ken to come see, “Look! They’ve started flight training!”

My next thought was, “O.K., now what do I do? What if he falls off that railing? What if he gets stuck there all day and Riley goes out and gobbles him right up? I can’t stand here all day! Where is his mother!?! What was she thinking, letting him out before he’s barely got any feathers? He's only a BABY!!!”

In a flash, the little guy lifted his wings and launched himself high up onto a tree branch. I haven’t seen him or his sibs since. The nest seems so bare.

Times like these, I wonder how you moms out there who are raising human kids do it. I would have been a nervous wreck.  

No comments:

Post a Comment