Friday, April 29, 2011

Wedding Watching

A Royal Wedding Special Edition Blog

Did you get up before dawn to watch the Royal Wedding? (Or stay up late if you live on the west coast?) I did. I got up at 4 a.m., but decided it was more sensible to record it and went back to bed until 7:00.

It was 10 a.m. by the time I finished watching the whole thing.  I thought it was glorious – even though I watched many portions on Fast Forward. But then, I’ve been a royal watcher all my life. If you are less than a fan, this blog might not be your “cuppa tea,” as they say. If you are a fan, like me, read on.

What impressed you the most? Of course, I’m betting that everyone was impressed with the pageantry of it all, the smooth operation of the British public spectacle, the beauty of the young couple, the hats, the bride’s dress, again, her beauty, and the majesty of it all.

I had some particular favorites in the “Wow, that’s impressive!” category: the Archbishop of Canterbury’s eyebrows for one. The clarity of HD TV for another. I don’t remember Charles and Diana’s wedding as being this clear! In my mind, it retains a grainy, foggy, archival appearance.  The soaring Gothic architecture of Westminster Abbey never fails to impress. And the police line that led the crowd of thousands down the Mall and into the circle at Buckingham Palace I found to be especially impressive. So many people, all moving at once, all peacefully gathering for a joyous occasion.

And then there was the impeccable scheduling of the event. Every arrival timed perfectly, by the minute, all going exactly on time. That made me think about my Royal Wedding schedule, which follows, if you are interested. All times are in Eastern Standard Time:

3:59 a.m.          Asleep – really enjoying it.
4:00                 Alarm goes off. Stumble downstairs and put on the TV.
4:02                 Realize from the schedule posted on NBC that the ceremony isn’t until  6:00 – 2 hours away. Don’t think I can stand it.
4:03                 Set the DVR to record from 4:00 – 10:00.
4:09                 Get back into bed.
4:10                 Toss and Turn. Wonder why I didn’t just stay up.
5:30ish             Asleep again, I think.
6:53                 Wake up. Stumble downstairs again. Let the dog out.
6:55                 Feed the dog.
6:57                 Turn on the TV. Catch the live action just as the newlyweds are about to walk up the aisle after the ceremony.
7:24                 Watch the recorded portions – some on FF to get to the good bits.
8:02                 Take a break to make a cup of tea and get some breakie.
8:25                 Return to live action to watch the wedding party wave from the palace balcony.
8:37                 Return to watching the recorded portions and continue until 10:02.

Well, o.k. – not that impressive.

I think Prince William’s best moment was when he turned to see Kate (or is it Cate? She is Catherine with a “C”) for the first time. Either his microphone wasn’t on yet, or maybe he mouthed the words to her. But from reading his lips, I’m sure that he said, “You look beautiful.”  The word “beautiful” was clear as day. I totally choked up.

Her best moment, in my opinion, was when the two had said their vows and were standing at the altar. You could hear a great cheer rise up from the crowds watching the ceremony on giant screens outside the Abbey. She smiled and seemed to choke up a bit. I'd like to think that it was a wonderful second of clarity for her about what was actually happening to her right then and there. It was a, "I wonder how it feels?" moment for the viewer. Imagine. She will be Queen one day and with that cheer she understood that she now has British subjects who adore her and young husband. How amazing is that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment