Saturday, October 20, 2012

An Open Plan


Do you have an open plan in your house? Before you answer, “Yes,” think about this: I just recently learned that today’s version of “open plan” is a single, multi-functional room containing living space, dining area and kitchen, all in one. Did you know this? If you did, you must be paying attention to domestic design trends more closely than I am!

I had not seen this type of floor plan until recently when we visited a Homearama here in Dayton. I’ve been under the impression for years that an “open plan” meant a free-flowing combination living and dining room, or it meant kitchen and family room arranged as a single open space. I wasn’t aware that “they” had done away with any enclosures around these rooms altogether. I also hadn’t realized that entire rooms had been eliminated in the process. I’m not sure I like where this is heading.  

In case Homearama is unfamiliar to you, this is a term coined (locally?) to describe a showcase of newly built developers’ homes, all  tarted up, excuse me, “STAGED” by decorators and ready for viewing and sale. Usually these exhibitions of the newest in home design, oversized furniture and excessive quantities of dried flowers, are set in new developments in remote, far-flung suburbs. This recent Homearama was unique because of its location in a more urban setting, i.e., a reclaimed tract of land in our very own neighborhood, a five minute drive from the city core. We HAD to go. It would have been un-neighborly not to.

We encountered “open plan” in the first house we viewed.  A large kitchen dominated the first floor, spatially defined by a substantial island with requisite granite counter top and stainless steel appliances. A zone containing couches, chairs, fireplace and flat screen TV flowed into kitchen and dining area in a zen-like confluence. A master bedroom opened almost directly from these spaces. I did a quick scan of the room and then it dawned: Wait a sec! Where’s the living room? Where’s the dining room? They don’t exist as separate entities! This isn’t the family room of old – this is IT! I surmised that this was what they call a “Great Room.”

It was then that I understood what I’ve seen time and time again on HGTV: homeowners seeking “nice big open plans for entertaining.”  They are apparently looking for this arrangement. They all seem to romanticize the notion of having guests gather around the granite island perched upon bar stools quaffing wine and laughing gaily while their host deftly tosses salad and plates dinners that look like they are prepared by a Michelin Star chef.

Now, I don’t mind the family room/kitchen combo, because “family room” implies that only the closest of relatives and dear friends are welcomed there. Or I can accept an open living/dining room arrangement. But I don’t think anyone is thinking clearly if they desire this exposed-to-company kitchen concept. I’m a reasonable cook, but I like my privacy.  I’ve had enough mishaps in the throes of preparing a meal that I’d just as soon keep that to myself, thank you very much! Give me a kitchen that’s off-limits to all non-essential personnel.

Don’t judge me! You can’t tell me that you haven’t had moments of sheer panic preparing a meal. Like when your roasted Brussels sprouts go just a bit too long at 400° and you catch their charred remains just before they burst into flame. Or a lemon sponge that falls so flat it becomes a sauce. I like a kitchen separated from guests who await the arrival of the meal at the table. I can take a deep breath, swing open my Hazel door¹ and calmly, with poise and quiet grace, never let on that I cut a corner off the roast where the dog licked it.  

No, I don’t approve of the open plan. And I hate to think what’s coming next. If you study the history of interior design², you will know that today’s open planning concepts (originated by Frank Lloyd Wright, by the way) derived as an antidote to tightly corseted Victorian parlors and subterranean kitchens, which developed out of room upon room manor houses, which, if you look far enough back, came out of the Middle Ages when dining, lounging and sleeping all took place in the same vast room. Now I ask you. Are we on our way to repeating history? If this open planning trend continues will we one day eat our meals, entertain our guests and then take to our beds all in one open room? Loft apartments are already there. I’m not sure I’m ready for this.

Although, breakfast in bed would take on whole new meaning.

 ¹http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazel_(TV_series)

² Home: A Short History of an Idea; Witold Rybczynski; Penguin Books, 1986.

No comments:

Post a Comment