Monday, September 23, 2013

GOLDEN RETRIEVER HAIKUS


Beneath that goofy grin and charming personality beats the heart of a poet.

I'm speaking of Riley, of course. No mere doggerel, here are a dozen of his Haikus. He likes to think they give paws for reflection.

 

Nose stuck in down spout.

Chipmunk cannot climb uphill.
I can wait all day.

Snooty Poodle, wearing boots.
BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK!
Couldn’t help myself.
 
Roll on a dead squirrel.
A scent to impress that girl dog.
But you gave me a bath.
 


Dinner was tasty.
Who forgot to scoop after?  
Backyard buffet – mm!

 
I stalk wild tigers,
Honoring my inner wolf.
The Petco jungle.

 
Howl at 4 a.m.
Like the Hound of the Baskervilles.
Cats invade my dream.

 

I notice your breath.
You had a cheese sandwich for lunch.
And none for me?

 
Golden autumn leaves,
Raked into piles at the curb.
I could pee on this.



They call this a bone.

Yet it has no meat or gristle.

Minty dog breath.

 
Go for a car ride?
Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!
The vet’s? Tricked again.




A cone, they said.

Didn't they mean ice cream?

I prefer Butterscotch.

 
The Joy of wet grass.
Pure pleasure of a good scratch.
No other reason.



No comments:

Post a Comment